- Cooking Time: 4-6 hours
- Servings: 6-8
- Preparation Time: 1 hour
- ⅓ cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 Tbsp lime juice
- 3-4 chipotle peppers – canned
- 4 cloves garlic
- 4 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp oregano – dried Mexican variety is best
- 1 ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground clove
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 4-5 lbs beef roast (chuck roast is fine)
- ¾ cup chicken broth
- 3 bay leaves
- PICO DE GALLO
- 4 tomatoes – diced
- ½ cup red onion – diced
- ¼ cup cilantro – diced
- 2 Tbsp jalapenos – diced, if you want it warmer search for the jalapenos that have the woodie striations
- 2 Tbs lime juice – or just squeeze some lime over until it’s flavored right.
- ¼ tsp salt
- PINTO BEANS
- 3 cans (15 oz each) pinto beans – canned are fine or make some fresh.
- 3 Tbs bacon fat – cook up about 4 pieces of bacon and you should have enough.
- ½ tsp oregano – dried Mexican variety is best.
- RICE – CILANTRO LIME FLAVORED
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups uncooked white rice
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- ⅓ cup cilantro – chopped
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- 8 Flour Tortillas – 12″
- Shredded LONGHORN, Colby Jack or Monterey Jack cheese
- guacamole – if desired
- sour cream – if desired
- 1. Combine the lime juice, vinegar, chipotle peppers, garlic, cumin, oregano, black pepper, salt and clove in a blender (you can also use a food processor) and blend at the highest speed until it’s smooth and creamy. (Adobo Sauce)
- 2. Cut the roast up into several smaller pieces and remove any excess fat.
- 3. In a large Dutch oven, heat approximately 2 tbsp of oil and cook each side of the pieces of meat until lightly browned.
- 4. Pour the adobo sauce over the meat and add in the chicken broth and bay leaves.
- 5. Cover and let simmer for about 4 hours, turning every 30 to 40 minutes.
- 6. Uncover and cook an additional 1 to 2 hours until the meat is easily pulled apart.
- 7. While the Baracoa is cooking, prepare the Pico de Gallo by combining all of the listed ingredients in a large bowl.
- 8. Let this chill in the refrigerator until everything is ready to serve.
- 9. In a medium pan heat the bacon fat over a medium to medium low heat and add in the pinto beans and oregano.
- 10. Simmer for 45 minutes stirring periodically. Cover and let sit until you’re ready to assemble the burritos.
- 11. In another large sauce pan prepare the rice. Combine the water, rice, salt and butter.
- 12. Bring the water and rice to a boil and then cover.
- 13. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes.
- 14. Remove the cover and stir in the lime juice and cilantro. Cover and let sit until you’re ready to make your burritos.
- 15. To make your burrito, start with a warmed flour tortilla. This is best done on a dry skillet or in a zip lock bag in the microwave. It shouldn’t take more than a minute, but keep an eye it so you don’t overheat them.
- 16. Place a good pile of the Barbacoa in the middle of the burrito. Next put a few spoons of the rice, beans and then the Pico de Gallo. If you’d like cheese, guacamole and/or sour cream, place that on top.
- 17. Fold in both sides of the tortilla and then roll up as tight as possible from bottom to top, keeping the sides closed in as you go. There’s a bit of an art to it, so you may have to practice some. If you mess up, start over. Or enjoy it in bowl.
NotesHaving grown up in Texas I like Mexican food. I searched for years for recipes that would take me home to my memories. Mexican BBQ was and is my favorite. Unfortunatety, I don't have room in my yard for a big ingound pit nor do I have access to some of the tropical plants used to do the real stuff. So during my searches for the hows, I came across this recipe and found that is as close to what I remember without the hole in my yard.
Submitted by: "Paul Tischhauser"
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler! Delicious Recipes For Any Get Together or Party
Halloween Easy Eerie Edibles
Pie Among Friends: Recipes from the Second Annual South Side Pie ChallengeSee More
Chicken Cordon Bleu
Fudgy Caramel DelightSee More