- Cooking Time: 30
- Preparation Time:
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 1 heaping teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon butter
- 2/3 cup water 6 oz. Mexican chocolate, such as Ibarra or Mayordomo
- 1 tablespoon cocoa 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 cup finely-ground toasted almonds
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 3 oz. Mexican chocolate, such as Ibarra or Mayordomo
- 1 tablespoon cocoa
- 2 to 3 tablespoons half and half
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Toasted sliced almonds for garnish
- Rreheat oven to 350. Grease and flour two 8" round cake pans.
- Sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a bowl and reserve. Melt together the butter, water, chocolate and cocoa in a heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring well. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes and remove from the heat. Stir the sifted dry ingredients into the chocolate mixture. In a bowl, combine the eggs, buttermilk and vanilla and mix well with the chocolate mixture. Stir in the ground almonds. Spoon the cake batter into the prepared pans and bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow the layers to stand in their pans for about 5 minutes. Run a knife around their edges, invert them onto cake racks, and remove the pans. Let them cool.
- While the layers cool, prepare the icing. Melt the butter together with the chocolate and cocoa in a heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add 2 tablespoons of the half and half and heat through. Mix in the remaining ingredients and blend well. Stir in the remaining half and half if needed for easy spreading consistency.
- To assemble the cake, place one layer on a decorative serving plate. Ice the top and sides of the cake layer. Repeat with the remaining layer and frosting. Garnish with toasted almonds.
NotesI made this while searching for a birthday cake for my husband. It's very good, not too rich. I found the Mexican Chocolate at Trader Joe's.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Jean’s Recipe File
Julie Tries ... Her Friends' Recipes
MY KIDS REALLY EAT THIS! Turner Parents Cookbook 2013See More
Edamame and Radish Slaw
Lisa Lovegood's Butterbeer Cake
Rustic Whole Wheat Garlic & Herb PizzaSee More