- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- # 12 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- # 1 cup sugar
- # 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- # 1 egg
- # 1 1/2 cups flour
- # 3/4 cup quality unsweetened cocoa powder
- # 3/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- # 1/2 teaspoon cayenne (or more if you like heat)
- # 1/4 teaspoon salt
- # 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- # 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- # at least 8 oz of dulce de leche
- Cream the butter and sugar together in a large bowl.
- Beat in egg and vanilla extract.
- In another bowl, whisk together dry ingredients (flour, cocoa, cinnamon, cayenne, pepper, salt and baking soda).
- Gradually add flour mixture to the first bowl. (If using an electric mixer, don’t overbeat.)
- On a lightly floured surface, bring dough together in a roll, about 2 inches in diameter.
- Wrap in wax paper and put it in the freezer so it can firm up before you try to cut it. Or keep it frozen until you’re ready to use it. (I baked one batch right away, and the rest of the dough is still waiting for me.)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Cut dough into rounds 1/4-inch thick.
- Put them on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake 7-9 minutes, up to 12 if you want them crisp instead. (Heatter says if you bake two batches at once, reverse the cookie sheets top to bottom and back to front midway through cooking.)
- Allow cookies to cool before spreading with dulce de leche. Sometimes I sandwiched them, other times I just spread some dulce de leche on top of individual cookies. There’s no wrong way to do it. Just have milk on hand.
NotesI crossed this Mexican Chocolate Icebox Cookie idea with traditional Argentine alfajores, which are soft cookies sandwiched around dulce de leche. Warning: don't make these without a glass-worth's of milk in the fridge.
To read more of the backstory behind this recipe, see: http://hecooksshecooks.net/2009/11/mexican-chocolate-cookies/
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Favourites from Ana's Romanian Kitchen
Happy Father's Day Day... Your Favorite Recipes
Eco-Chefs Kids Culinary CookbookSee More
Chocolate Eclair Cake
Sara Lee® Fruity Breakfast Bread Spreads
Triple Chocolate Chunk CookiesSee More