- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryI crossed this Mexican Chocolate Icebox Cookie idea with traditional Argentine alfajores, which are soft cookies sandwiched around dulce de leche. Warning: don't make these without a glass-worth's of milk in the fridge.
To read more of the backstory behind this recipe, see: http://hecooksshecooks.net/2009/11/mexican-chocolate-cookies/
- # 12 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- # 1 cup sugar
- # 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- # 1 egg
- # 1 1/2 cups flour
- # 3/4 cup quality unsweetened cocoa powder
- # 3/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- # 1/2 teaspoon cayenne (or more if you like heat)
- # 1/4 teaspoon salt
- # 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- # 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- # at least 8 oz of dulce de leche
- Cream the butter and sugar together in a large bowl.
- Beat in egg and vanilla extract.
- In another bowl, whisk together dry ingredients (flour, cocoa, cinnamon, cayenne, pepper, salt and baking soda).
- Gradually add flour mixture to the first bowl. (If using an electric mixer, don’t overbeat.)
- On a lightly floured surface, bring dough together in a roll, about 2 inches in diameter.
- Wrap in wax paper and put it in the freezer so it can firm up before you try to cut it. Or keep it frozen until you’re ready to use it. (I baked one batch right away, and the rest of the dough is still waiting for me.)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Cut dough into rounds 1/4-inch thick.
- Put them on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake 7-9 minutes, up to 12 if you want them crisp instead. (Heatter says if you bake two batches at once, reverse the cookie sheets top to bottom and back to front midway through cooking.)
- Allow cookies to cool before spreading with dulce de leche. Sometimes I sandwiched them, other times I just spread some dulce de leche on top of individual cookies. There’s no wrong way to do it. Just have milk on hand.
Classic Chocolate Recipes Elevated
HKA Community Fair Recipes 2015
Noshing with NOCALL: Recipe Pathfinders of the Northern California Association of Law LibrariesSee More
Mascarpone Brownies With Honey Chocolate Sauce
Red Snapper Livornese
Beer Cheese in a Bread BowlSee More