- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryI just love the food network!! This recipe is from
Simply Delicioso with Ingrid Hoffmann
- 4 ears fresh or 3 cups frozen, thawed corn kernels
- 2 medium tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 slices thick cut bacon
- 1/2 onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup heavy cream, optional
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 cup queso fresco, fresh farmer's cheese, feta cheese, or sour cream, optional
- Tortilla chips or fried tortilla strips, optional
- If using fresh corn, scrape kernels from cobs using small sharp knife or spoon.
- Place half of the corn kernels in blender with tomatoes, 2 cups of broth, and oregano.
- Puree until smooth.
- Set aside.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, cook bacon, turning once until brown and crisp, about 10 minutes.
- Remove bacon to a paper towel lined plate to drain.
- Set aside.
- Add onion to bacon fat in saucepan and cook, stirring frequently until onion is soft and translucent.
- Add garlic and stir for another minute.
- Add tomato-corn puree to saucepan with remaining 2 cups of broth.
- Bring to a low boil and add remaining whole corn kernels.
- Simmer over medium-low heat until thickened, about 20 minutes.
- Stir occasionally and remove any foam as it develops with a large flat metal spoon.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Mix in half of the parsley and cream, if desired, and heat through.
- To serve, garnished with crumbled bacon, remaining parsley, crumbled cheese and tortilla chips or strips.