MEXICAN HAM AND BEAN SOUP
- Servings: 8
- 1 pound dried pinto beans
- 8 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups cubed smoked ham steak (about 8 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 chipotle chile (or dried ancho or pasilla chile)
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded manchego cheese or monterey jack cheese
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
Sort and wash beans; place in a large Dutch oven. Cover with water to 2 inches above beans; bring to a boil. Cook 2 minutes; remove from heat. Cover and let stand 1 hour. Drain.
Combine beans, broth, and next 8 ingredients (broth through garlic) in a Dutch oven; bring to a boil. Partially cover; reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer 1 1/2 hours or until beans are tender.
Stir in tomatoes and chile; simmer 30 minutes. Discard bay leaves and chile. Ladle soup into 8 bowls. Top with cheese; sprinkle with cilantro.