- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 4 to 6
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryThe recipe is from Soup's On by Leslie Jonath and Frankie Frankeny.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 12 oz Mexican chorizo
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 can (15 oz) garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 8 oz ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 8 oz chayote squash or zucchini, diced
- 6 oz baby spinach leaves, washed well
- 2 limes, cut into wedges
- 1 bunch radishes, sliced or chopped
- 2 large avocados, diced
- In a soup pot or dutch oven, warm the oil over medium-high heat with the onion and carrot.
- Cook, stirring often, until the vegtables soften, about 3 minutes.
- Crumble the chorizo, discarding the casings, and cook, breaking up the sausage with a wooden spoon, until the meat is no longer pick; drain off the fat if desired.
- Stir in the cilantro, then add the stock, garbanzo beans and tomatoes.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in the squash and contiue cooking, covered for 5 minutes.
- Increase the heat and stir inthe spinach, a handful at a time, until wilted.
- Turn off the heat and let the soup stand for 10 minutes before serving.
- Ladle into big bowls and garnish with limes, radishes, and avocados, as desired.