- Cooking Time: 10
- Servings: 2
- Preparation Time: 25
Backstory"A nice vegetable broth and tomato sauce give this rice pilaf a hearty flavor. Cumin, chili powder and jalapeno give it bite. And the chopped tomatoes and shredded cheese swirled in at the last minute, finish it perfectly."
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cups instant brown rice
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1. In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium high heat. Add onion and garlic; cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in broth, rice, chili powder, jalapeno peppers, and cumin. Cover, and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat, and simmer for 4 minutes. Stir in bell pepper. Cover. Simmer for 5 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed.
- 2. Stir tomato and shredded cheese into hot cooked rice.