- Cooking Time: 10
- Servings: 2
- Preparation Time: 25
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cups instant brown rice
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1. In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium high heat. Add onion and garlic; cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in broth, rice, chili powder, jalapeno peppers, and cumin. Cover, and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat, and simmer for 4 minutes. Stir in bell pepper. Cover. Simmer for 5 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed.
- 2. Stir tomato and shredded cheese into hot cooked rice.
Notes"A nice vegetable broth and tomato sauce give this rice pilaf a hearty flavor. Cumin, chili powder and jalapeno give it bite. And the chopped tomatoes and shredded cheese swirled in at the last minute, finish it perfectly."
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Three Sweet Spring Treats from Saddlebred Rescue, Inc.
Quick Breads, Muffins and Cakes...Oh My!
Angel Acres Thanksgiving Dinner Cookbook!See More
Roasted Pepper Potato Soup
Oven Crispy FriesSee More