- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 4 scallions, coarsely chopped
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 10 ounces fresh baby spinach
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 8 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- 1 (15.5 ounces) pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup prepared salsa (mild or medium)
- 8 ounces pepper Jack cheese, grated (about 2 cups)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In a food processor, combine cilantro, scallions, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper with as much spinach as will fit; pulse, adding remaining spinach in batches, until coarsely chopped.
- Coat an 8-inch square baking dish with cooking spray. Lay 4 tortillas in bottom of dish (they will overlap slightly). Layer with half of beans, salsa, spinach mixture, and cheese; repeat with remaining ingredients, ending with cheese and pressing in gently.
- Cover dish with foil; place on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake until bubbling, 25 to 30 minutes; remove foil, and continue baking until golden, 15 to 20 minutes more. Cool 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
NotesThis is an Everyday Food recipe. I can't remember which issue. It has lots of flavor and once you've made it, I'm sure there are lots of ways you can adjust it to make it your own...garnish with avocado, instead of pinto beans I use black beans....maybe add a layer of spanish rice and pepper jack cheese...who knows....but the possibilities are endless. It's always fun to get creative!!
KITCHEN CAUCUS Conservative Creations
C'mon a my house! (Metric and American measurements for most recipes)
Let's Talk Turkey! My Family's Turkey Day FeastSee More
Hillshire Farm® Smoked Sausage Holiday Hoagie
Butternut Squash Medley
coffee toffee cookiesSee More