- Cooking Time: 25
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time: 15
- 3/4 cup plus 2 TBS sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- pinch of salt
- 1 1/3 cups whole milk
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1/3 cup fresh Meyer lemon juice or regular lemon juice
- 2 TBS finely grated Meyer lemon peel or regular lemon peel
- 1 8-ounce container chilled creme fraiche
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter eight 3/4-cup ramekins or custard cups. Whisk together 1/2 cup plus 2 TBS sugar, flour and pinch of salt in a medium bowl. Combine milk, egg yolks, lemon juice, and lemon peel in a large bowl; whisk until blended. In another bowl, beat egg whites with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining 1/4 cup sugar and beat egg whites till stiff but not dry. Fold 1/4 of whites into custard. In two additions fold in the remaining egg whites in the custard. (the custard will be runny and I had lumps of egg whites when I made it)
- Divide custard equally among the ramekins. Place ramekins in a large roasting pan. Pour enough hot water to come halfway up the sides of ramekins. Bake custards until golden brown and set on top (custard cakes will have a soft center), about 25-27 minutes. Cool slightly, and refrigerate custard cakes. Chill custard cakes until cold at least 4 hours, then cover and keep refrigerated.
- Using electric mixer, beat creme fraiche in a medium bowl until softly whipped.
- Run a knife around each custard cake to loosen. Invert each on a plate. Serve with whipped creme fraiche.
NotesI got a bag of gorgeous sunny Meyer lemons from my parents farm. They're so pretty they're begging to baked into something wonderful. I just got the latest Bon Appetit and in it is a recipe for Meyer lemon custard cakes. There small light and lemony, the perfect antidote to all those heavy holiday desserts.
Three Sweet Spring Treats from Saddlebred Rescue, Inc.
Healthy Blender Recipes: Vegan Drinks, Shakes & Smoothies
Quick Breads, Muffins and Cakes...Oh My!See More
Beef , Tomatoe And Cabbage Casserole
Vanilla Crunch Clouds
Fruity With a Touch of ZingSee More