- Cooking Time: 25
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time: 15
- 3/4 cup plus 2 TBS sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- pinch of salt
- 1 1/3 cups whole milk
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1/3 cup fresh Meyer lemon juice or regular lemon juice
- 2 TBS finely grated Meyer lemon peel or regular lemon peel
- 1 8-ounce container chilled creme fraiche
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter eight 3/4-cup ramekins or custard cups. Whisk together 1/2 cup plus 2 TBS sugar, flour and pinch of salt in a medium bowl. Combine milk, egg yolks, lemon juice, and lemon peel in a large bowl; whisk until blended. In another bowl, beat egg whites with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining 1/4 cup sugar and beat egg whites till stiff but not dry. Fold 1/4 of whites into custard. In two additions fold in the remaining egg whites in the custard. (the custard will be runny and I had lumps of egg whites when I made it)
- Divide custard equally among the ramekins. Place ramekins in a large roasting pan. Pour enough hot water to come halfway up the sides of ramekins. Bake custards until golden brown and set on top (custard cakes will have a soft center), about 25-27 minutes. Cool slightly, and refrigerate custard cakes. Chill custard cakes until cold at least 4 hours, then cover and keep refrigerated.
- Using electric mixer, beat creme fraiche in a medium bowl until softly whipped.
- Run a knife around each custard cake to loosen. Invert each on a plate. Serve with whipped creme fraiche.
NotesI got a bag of gorgeous sunny Meyer lemons from my parents farm. They're so pretty they're begging to baked into something wonderful. I just got the latest Bon Appetit and in it is a recipe for Meyer lemon custard cakes. There small light and lemony, the perfect antidote to all those heavy holiday desserts.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Recipes in Rotation with Douglas E. Welch
Angel Acres Thanksgiving Dinner Cookbook!
Pie Among Friends: Recipes from the Second Annual South Side Pie ChallengeSee More
Dad's favorite peanut brownies!See More