- Cooking Time: 10-12 minutes
- Servings: 36 cookies
- Preparation Time: 30 minutes
- ½ Cup Butter
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 1-Teaspoon Vanilla
- 1 ½ Teaspoons Double Acting Baking Powder
- 2 oz. Unsweetened Chocolate
- 1 ¼ to 1 ½ Cups All Purpose Flour
- ¼ Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Egg
- Beat ½ Cup Butter until soft.
- Add 1 Cup of Sugar gradually and blend until creamy.
- Mix in 1 teaspoon of vanilla and egg.
- Sift together the flour, salt and double acting baking powder.
- Stir the sifted ingredients into the butter mixture and stir until well mixed.
- Shape the dough into a cylinder and wrap in wax paper.
- Refrigerate thoroughly.
- Make another batch of the vanilla cookies, but add 2 oz. of unsweetened chocolate to the finished dough.
- Roll into cylinder and then freeze it.
- After the vanilla and chocolate dough is thorough chilled, cut each cylinder length-wise into quarters.
- Alternate two chocolate quarters with two vanilla quarters to form a checkerboard pattern.
- You will have two cylinders when finished.
- For easy slicing, place cylinders into freezer until well chilled.
- When ready to prepare, preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Slice cookies and place on cookie sheet lined with Reynolds Parchment Paper. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Cookies freeze well baked or unbaked.
- (Joy of Cooking)
NotesThis recipe came from "The Joy of Cooking" cookbook. My daughters and I have enjoying making this easy recipe that combines chocolate and vanilla refridgerator cookies. One year, we made these cookies and gave them away as Christmas gifts, with the recipe rolled up and tied with a ribbon attached.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Classic Chocolate Recipes
Gonzalez Family~Established 8.8.14
Desperate Housewives: Juicy Dishes & Saucy BitesSee More
Rich Chocolate Pecan Pie
Cheesy Stuffed Baked Ziti
GREEN BEAN CASSEROLESee More