- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryI love scalloped potatoes but hate eating them from a box because they're WAY too salty for me and it grosses me out. My mother-in-law gave me a "microwave cookbook" and I decided to be brave and try a recipe last night.. I was skeptical because I never think of the microwave as good for anything other than reheating leftovers! But these were actually good! I'll be making them again for sure!
- 3-4 medium sized potatoes, peeled and sliced thin
- 3 cups milk
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp chopped onion (more or less if you like onion)
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt (i omitted due to my salt hatred)
- grated cheese for topping if desired
- Melt butter in microwave in large microwave safe bowl.
- Mix in flour, salt, and pepper
- Slowly add milk to mixture
- Heat in microwave for 9 minutes, stirring every 3 minutes
- While butter/milk mixture is cooking, place a layer of sliced potatoes on the bottom of a glass baking dish, then a layer of onion.
- Once sauce has finished heating, pour a layer over potatoes/onions
- Repeat layering until all ingredients are used
- Pop back into the microwave for 17-19 minutes, slightly stirring every 9 minutes or so (you will want to watch it because it tends to bubble over if not stirred!)Depending on how thin/thick you sliced your potatoes, they might need more cooking time.
- CAREFULLY remove baking dish from microwave...it WILL be hot
- Sprinkle with shredded cheese if you desire
- Let sit for a good 5-10 minutes so the sauce can "set"
- Serve and enjoy!