- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 3-4 medium sized potatoes, peeled and sliced thin
- 3 cups milk
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp chopped onion (more or less if you like onion)
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt (i omitted due to my salt hatred)
- grated cheese for topping if desired
- Melt butter in microwave in large microwave safe bowl.
- Mix in flour, salt, and pepper
- Slowly add milk to mixture
- Heat in microwave for 9 minutes, stirring every 3 minutes
- While butter/milk mixture is cooking, place a layer of sliced potatoes on the bottom of a glass baking dish, then a layer of onion.
- Once sauce has finished heating, pour a layer over potatoes/onions
- Repeat layering until all ingredients are used
- Pop back into the microwave for 17-19 minutes, slightly stirring every 9 minutes or so (you will want to watch it because it tends to bubble over if not stirred!)Depending on how thin/thick you sliced your potatoes, they might need more cooking time.
- CAREFULLY remove baking dish from microwave...it WILL be hot
- Sprinkle with shredded cheese if you desire
- Let sit for a good 5-10 minutes so the sauce can "set"
- Serve and enjoy!
NotesI love scalloped potatoes but hate eating them from a box because they're WAY too salty for me and it grosses me out. My mother-in-law gave me a "microwave cookbook" and I decided to be brave and try a recipe last night.. I was skeptical because I never think of the microwave as good for anything other than reheating leftovers! But these were actually good! I'll be making them again for sure!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Gonzalez Family~Established 8.8.14
NFPG Recipe Collection
Science 8 is Cooking with Chemistry 2013See More
Honey Cake (mézeskalács) As My Mother Makes
Delicious, flaky, lard-free pie crustSee More