- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup. boiling water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 C). Grease and flour two 9 inch round baking pans OR one 9 x 13-inch baking pan OR one 10-inch bundt or tube pan.
- In a large bowl, and with an electric mixer, combine dry ingredients.
- Add the liquid ingredients (except for the boiling water), and beat on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin).
- Pour into prepared pan(s).
- Bake 30-35 minutes if using the 2 round pans or 35-40 minutes for the 9x13-inch rectangular pan, or bake for 50-60 minutes if using a bundt or tube pan.
- Remove cake(s) from oven, and cool completely on rack.
- After cake(s) have cooled completely, frost as desired, or dust top of cake with confectioners' sugar.
NotesThis cake is incredibly moist and very versatile, you can bake it as sheet cake (9x13) or as cupcakes, or a bundt cake or as layers.
Note: I sometimes substitute 1/4 sour cream for part of the milk. It makes the cake even more moist!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
HalFire: A Passion for HotWings!
ES Diversity - Creating Connections through Food Volume 2 Desserts and CakesSee More
Whey Bean Salad
Boo CupsSee More