- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryThis cake is incredibly moist and very versatile, you can bake it as sheet cake (9x13) or as cupcakes, or a bundt cake or as layers.
Note: I sometimes substitute 1/4 sour cream for part of the milk. It makes the cake even more moist!
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup. boiling water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 C). Grease and flour two 9 inch round baking pans OR one 9 x 13-inch baking pan OR one 10-inch bundt or tube pan.
- In a large bowl, and with an electric mixer, combine dry ingredients.
- Add the liquid ingredients (except for the boiling water), and beat on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin).
- Pour into prepared pan(s).
- Bake 30-35 minutes if using the 2 round pans or 35-40 minutes for the 9x13-inch rectangular pan, or bake for 50-60 minutes if using a bundt or tube pan.
- Remove cake(s) from oven, and cool completely on rack.
- After cake(s) have cooled completely, frost as desired, or dust top of cake with confectioners' sugar.