- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time:
- Oil for frying
- 4 corn tortillas cut into strips
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 4 jalapeno chiles, seeded, stemmed and diced (I didn't have fresh jalapenos so I used the kind in a jar)
- 8 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup (4 oz) grated cheddar cheese, jack cheese or maybe a combo
- In a large skillet, heat about 1/2 inch of oil over a medium-high heat. Put the tortilla strips in the hot oil and let cook until nice and crispy...about 3 minutes. Remove and drain on a paper towel lined plate.
- Drain out the oil, leaving about 2 TB. Turn the heat down a bit and add the onions and jalapenos. Cook, stirring occasionally until the onion is translucent. While that's going on, whisk together the egg, milk, salt, pepper, cumin and cilantro in a bowl.
- Once the onions are translucent, add the garlic and cook for about 30 seconds.
- Add the egg mixture to the skillet along with the tortilla strips. Let the egg cook for a minute so the bottom sets a bit. Stir gently and then add the cheese
- Once the cheese has been added, gently stir until the cheese has melted. Add more salt and pepper to taste (if needed). Serve with tortillas and salsa
NotesThis is the perfect example of many of the recipes in The Homesick Texan. Complex in flavor yet simple enough for any level of cook to make. I loved the corn flavor that the tortilla strips added to the eggs. The jalapenos were a great addition of some slight heat. The smokey flavor from the cumin was wonderful. If I wanted to beef it up a bit....I could've added some chorizo or sausage. If I wanted more veggies...some diced tomatoes would've been a wonderful addition.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Shrimp Recipes That Bubba Would Love (inspired by the movie Forrest Gump)
Super Buddies Homemade Doggie Treats
Foodie BabySee More
Chicken LinguineSee More