- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 3 tbsp. flour
- 1/4 c. cornstarch
- 1 3/4 c. sugar
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 4 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 1/2 c. lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. grated lemon peel
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 2 c. water
- 9 inch baked pie shell
- 6 egg whites (3/4 c.) at room temperature
- 1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
- 3/4 c. sugar
- In medium saucepan, combine cornstarch, flour, 1/3 4 cups sugar and the salt, mixing well.
- Gradually add 2 cups water,stirring until smooth. Over medium heat, bring to boiling, stirring occasionally;boil 1 minute. Remove from heat. Quickly stir some of hot mixture into egg yolks. Return to hot mixture; stir to blend. Return to heat; cook over low heat 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Gently stir in lemon juice, lemon peel and butter. Pour into pie shell. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In medium bowl, with mixer at medium speed, beat egg whites with cream of tartar until frothy. Gradually beat in sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, beating after each addition. The beat at high speed until stiff peaks form when beater is slowly raised. Spread over lemon filling, carefully sealing to edge of the crust and swirling to decoratively.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until the meringue is golden brown. Let pie cool completely on wire rack 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
Three Sweet Spring Treats from Saddlebred Rescue, Inc.
Just Desserts - Top 20 from the Culinary Alchemy BlogSee More
Dark Molten Chocolate Cakes
Shrimp and Penne Pasta Salad with Pesto, Bocconcini and Cherry Tomatoes
Turkey and Heirloom Tomato Frittata with BasilSee More