- Cooking Time: 45
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryOne of my favorite casseroles. I'm not sure if this is the exact recipe from the recipe card. I've might have made some changes along the way.
Source: My Great Recipes
- 1 pkg. (12 oz.) large pasta shells
- 8 oz. cottage or ricotta cheese
- 6 T. melted butter or margarine
- 2 cans (8 oz. each) tomato sauce
- 1 c. fresh or drained canned mushrooms, sliced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 c. thinly sliced pepperoni
- 2 pkgs. (6 oz. each) presliced Mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 lb. ground beef (or turkey)
- dried oregano to taste
- black pepper to taste
- Cook shells as directed on package. Drain.
- Sauté ground beef. Mix cottage or ricotta cheese, butter, and tomato sauce until well blended.
- Stir in mushrooms and green pepper, blending well. Add oregano and pepper.
- Place layer of cooked shells in bottom of lightly buttered casserole. Cover with layer of cottage cheese mixture. Top with half of the pepperoni. Place 2 slices Mozzarella cheese on top. Crumble 1/3 ground beef evenly over cheese.
- Repeat layers until all ingredients are used, ending with Mozzarella cheese on top, ringed with pepperoni slices.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes until hot and bubbly.