- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 cup whole millet
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 4-6 crimini mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 lb asparagus cut into 1-2" pieces (green beans are a great alternative)
- Salt and pepper
- In a dry sauce pan, over medium heat, brown the millet to give it a more nutty, toasty flavor. (this step is optional).
- Pour 3 cups of hot chicken broth into the pan with the millet. Bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook for about 20 - 25 minutes or until all of the liquid has been absorbed.
- While the millet is simmering, in a medium skillet heat the olive oil. Add the sliced mushrooms and asparagus and saute until crisp tender or to your desired tenderness.
- When the millet is cooked, fluff with a fork and toss in the cooked mushrooms and asparagus. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
NotesDid you know that millet isn't just for birds? It's a very healthy and delicious alternative to rice and similar grains, although millet is actually a seed.