- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 14 ounce sweetened condensed milk
- 6 ounces semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolate, cut into pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon unsalted butter
- For Filling:
- Pour the condensed milk into a heatproof bowl and place the bowl over a saucepan of simmering water.
- Cover and cook, over low heat, stirring occasionally, for 45 to 60 minutes or until the milk has thickened and has turned a light caramel colour.
- Remove from heat and beat until smooth.
- Pour the caramel over the baked shortbread and leave to set.
- For Topping:
- Melt the chocolate and butter either in the microwave oven or in double boiler.
- Pour the melted chocolate evenly over the caramel and leave to set.
- Cut the shortbread into pieces using a sharp knife.
- Store the shortbread in the refrigerator to keep the chocolate firm.