- Cooking Time: About 45 minutes
- Servings: 15 to 18 slices
- Preparation Time: About 2 1/2 hours
- -2 1/2 cups flour
- -1/4 cup cornstarch
- -2 cups unsalted butter
- -1/2 cup superfine sugar
- -1 cup light brown sugar
- -2 14-oz cans of sweetened
- and condensed milk
- -8 oz milk or semisweet chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 325 F (180 C). Put the flour, cornstarch, 1 cup butter, and sugar in a food processor and process until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Turn into a 13x9 in (33x23-cm.) jelly roll pan and pack down with the back of a spoon. Prick well with a fork and bake for 35 to 40 minutes until pale golden. Set the pan on a wire rack to cool.
- Place the remaining butter and brown sugar in a saucepan over low heat until melted. Add the condensed milk and bring slowly to a boil. Stir continuously until the mixture turns a pale caramel color, approximately 3 to 4 minutes. Pour over the top of the shortbread and level with the back of a spoon. Chill in the refrigerator for 1 hour, or until set.
- Melt the chocolate in double boiler and spread over the caramel. Chill in the refrigerator until set.
- To serve, cut into 15 to 18 slices.
NotesThis recipe is from "500 chocolate delights" by Lauren Floodgate. It's delicious and makes a large quantity.
St.George YMCA-YWCA Before and After School Cookbook
The Social Cookbook
Mr. Ham's Sweet Brown and Red Barbecue Sauce and Other Awesome RecipesSee More
Mama Mia ... Lentils Italian Style
Gabriola Clam Chowder
Gen's Vegetable Love PizzaSee More