- Cooking Time: About 45 minutes
- Servings: 15 to 18 slices
- Preparation Time: About 2 1/2 hours
- -2 1/2 cups flour
- -1/4 cup cornstarch
- -2 cups unsalted butter
- -1/2 cup superfine sugar
- -1 cup light brown sugar
- -2 14-oz cans of sweetened
- and condensed milk
- -8 oz milk or semisweet chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 325 F (180 C). Put the flour, cornstarch, 1 cup butter, and sugar in a food processor and process until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Turn into a 13x9 in (33x23-cm.) jelly roll pan and pack down with the back of a spoon. Prick well with a fork and bake for 35 to 40 minutes until pale golden. Set the pan on a wire rack to cool.
- Place the remaining butter and brown sugar in a saucepan over low heat until melted. Add the condensed milk and bring slowly to a boil. Stir continuously until the mixture turns a pale caramel color, approximately 3 to 4 minutes. Pour over the top of the shortbread and level with the back of a spoon. Chill in the refrigerator for 1 hour, or until set.
- Melt the chocolate in double boiler and spread over the caramel. Chill in the refrigerator until set.
- To serve, cut into 15 to 18 slices.
NotesThis recipe is from "500 chocolate delights" by Lauren Floodgate. It's delicious and makes a large quantity.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Cooking for a Cure
I Got Baked: Introducing Cookbook Cafe
ES Diversity - Creating Connections through Food Volume 2 Desserts and CakesSee More
Sauteed Spinach with Garlic: Julie & Julia
Red Cabbage and Apple Salad with Ginger Vinaigrette
Marly's Vegan Coconut CakeSee More