- 1 1/2 lbs. shin beef w/ bone
- 1 c. dried navy beans
- 5 qts. water
- 2 Tb. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 2 c. chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 c. diced celery
- 2 c. finely shredded cabbage
- 1 1/2 c. diced carrots
- 1 med. potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 Tb. parsley flakes
- 1/2 lb. ground chuck
- 1 1/2 c. thinly sliced fresh or frozen zucchini or small yellow squash
- 1 c. frozen loose-pack green beans
- 1 1/2 c. broken-up uncooked spaghetti
- grated Parmesan or Romano cheese*
- basil leaves**
- Kay's notes: *Use freshly grated Parmesan or Romano
- ** Fresh basil makes this even better!!!! Wow!!!
Place shin beef, beans, water salt and pepper in lrg. kettle. Cover and simmer 3 hours. (This may be done a day ahead.)
Remove meat from mixture and cut meat from bones. Add meat to soup. Add onion, garlic, celery, cabbage, carrots, potato and parsley.
Brown ground chuck and add to mixture. Cover and simmer 'til veg. are tender, about 30 min. Add squash, green beans and spaghetti. Simmer 'til spaghetti is cooked, about 10 -15 min. Taste for seasonings; you may wish to add an additional Tb. salt. Serve in bowls and sprinkle with cheese and a pinch of dried basil leaves.
Makes about 7 qts.
Kay's notes: *Use freshly grated Parmesan or Romano
** Fresh basil makes this even better!!!! Wow!!!