- Cooking Time: 25 min.
- Servings: 12
- Preparation Time: 15 min.
- 1 2/3 c, whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 c. brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ground allspice
- 1/2 cup apple sauce
- 1/2 c. water
- 1/3 c. vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. white vinegar
- 1/4 cup raisins - optional*
- 1/4 cup chopped apples - optional*
- For decorating: Whole wheat pretzel rods, broken in half
- Spearmint leaves, sliced in half lengthwise
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. Karo syrup
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2-4 tsp. orange juice
- Red and yellow food coloring
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Blend all cake ingredients in a large mixing bowl with a wire whisk until well combined. If using raisins and chopped apple, fold into batter.
- Pour evenly into 12 greased mini bundt pans or muffin tins.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a tester inserted into the center cake comes out clean.
- (Note* You may also bake this cake in a 9x9 baking pan for 30 minutes and then slice into squares once it has cooled).
- Allow cakes to cool in the pan before inverting onto a wire rack.
- Whisk sugar, vanilla, Karo syrup and 2 tsp. of juice until well combined. If this glaze is too stiff, add more juice a teaspoon at a time until it reaches a thin, pour-able consistency. This will give the cakes shine, but feel free to make a thicker glaze if you want the cakes coated with an opaque layer of icing.
- Tint icing with 1 drop of red and 5 drops of yellow food coloring if desired. Pour one teaspoon of glaze over each cake.
- Decorate with stems and leaves.
Best of Eva's Family Recipes
Get Back in the Kitchen! Easy Healthy Meals for the Non-Chef by Kathy and Andrew Judson
Science 8 is Cooking with Chemistry!See More
Blueberry Banana Blast
Cincinnati Bengals Bacon & Mac Grilled Cheese
AFRICAN CHICKEN STEWSee More