- Cooking Time: 25 min.
- Servings: 12
- Preparation Time: 15 min.
- 1 2/3 c, whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 c. brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ground allspice
- 1/2 cup apple sauce
- 1/2 c. water
- 1/3 c. vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. white vinegar
- 1/4 cup raisins - optional*
- 1/4 cup chopped apples - optional*
- For decorating: Whole wheat pretzel rods, broken in half
- Spearmint leaves, sliced in half lengthwise
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. Karo syrup
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2-4 tsp. orange juice
- Red and yellow food coloring
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Blend all cake ingredients in a large mixing bowl with a wire whisk until well combined. If using raisins and chopped apple, fold into batter.
- Pour evenly into 12 greased mini bundt pans or muffin tins.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a tester inserted into the center cake comes out clean.
- (Note* You may also bake this cake in a 9x9 baking pan for 30 minutes and then slice into squares once it has cooled).
- Allow cakes to cool in the pan before inverting onto a wire rack.
- Whisk sugar, vanilla, Karo syrup and 2 tsp. of juice until well combined. If this glaze is too stiff, add more juice a teaspoon at a time until it reaches a thin, pour-able consistency. This will give the cakes shine, but feel free to make a thicker glaze if you want the cakes coated with an opaque layer of icing.
- Tint icing with 1 drop of red and 5 drops of yellow food coloring if desired. Pour one teaspoon of glaze over each cake.
- Decorate with stems and leaves.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
GAES PTO Recipes
Fun appetizers and snacks
Let's Talk Turkey! My Family's Turkey Day FeastSee More
Edamame and Radish Slaw
Lisa Lovegood's Butterbeer Cake
Rustic Whole Wheat Garlic & Herb PizzaSee More