Mini Lemon Tarts
¼ cup plain flour
1 cup sugar
½ cup fresh lemon juice
Zest of 1 lemon juice
1 egg yolk
⅛ teaspoon of salt
Shortcrust pastry (use your favorite recipe, or frozen is fine)
1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2. Use a round pastry cutter to cut out discs of short-crust to the right size for tart tray or muffin pan.
3. Bake the pastry for eight to 10 minutes, or until it starts to turn golden. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
4. Reduce the oven to 150°C.
5. Combine the flour and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Add the lemon juice and zest and mix until the sugar has dissolved.
6. In a smaller bowl, whisk together the eggs, extra yolk and salt.
7. Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and whisk until it is well combined.
8. Pour the tart mixture into the pastry cases and bake for 10 minutes, or until the centers are just set. Baking time will vary depending on the size of your tarts, so perhaps practice with a single tart to get it right.
9. Let the tarts cool before serving with a dusting of icing sugar.