- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 125g unsalted butter, softened
- 175g caster sugar
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten together
- Zest of 1 lime
- 175g self-raising flour
- Pinch of salt
- 4 tbsp milk
- 4 tbsp lime juice
- Zest for 1 lime
- 100g icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C, and butter a mini loaf tin and lightly dust with flour and set aside.
- Cream together the butter and sugar, then slowly add the eggs and lime zest, beating well after each addition.
- Fold in the flour and salt, then the milk, then spoon into the loaf tins and bake for 20-25 minutes or till a skewer inserted into the middle comes out with a few moist crumbs stuck.
- Once baked, remove from the oven, set onto a cooling tray and prick all over with a toothpick/skewer.
- Once the cakes have left the oven, prepare the syrup by putting the zest, lime juice and sugar into a small saucepan and heat gently till the sugar has completely dissolved.
- Boil for another 2-3 minutes, then remove from the heat and strain out the lime zest.
- Carefully place the lime zest on each of the cakes, then use a tablespoon to pour syrup evenly over each of the cakes to soak each one through.
- Leave to sit for about 5-10 minutes or till the syrup has been completely absorbed by the cakes, then remove and place onto a piece of baking paper inside an airtight container (but remember to save one to enjoy while still warm, hehehe!)
NotesThis recipe is from Nigella Lawson's "How to be a domestic goddess". You can read the post on my food blog - Kitchen Wench
Pie Among Friends: Recipes from the Second Annual South Side Pie Challenge
VivaVeganGal's Family Favorites
Foodie BabySee More
Grilled Chicken and Orange Skewers with Zucchini Rice
Endive Rhubarb Salad
COTTAGE CHEESE BRUNCH BLINTZESSee More