- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryThis recipe is from Nigella Lawson's "How to be a domestic goddess". You can read the post on my food blog - Kitchen Wench
- 125g unsalted butter, softened
- 175g caster sugar
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten together
- Zest of 1 lime
- 175g self-raising flour
- Pinch of salt
- 4 tbsp milk
- 4 tbsp lime juice
- Zest for 1 lime
- 100g icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C, and butter a mini loaf tin and lightly dust with flour and set aside.
- Cream together the butter and sugar, then slowly add the eggs and lime zest, beating well after each addition.
- Fold in the flour and salt, then the milk, then spoon into the loaf tins and bake for 20-25 minutes or till a skewer inserted into the middle comes out with a few moist crumbs stuck.
- Once baked, remove from the oven, set onto a cooling tray and prick all over with a toothpick/skewer.
- Once the cakes have left the oven, prepare the syrup by putting the zest, lime juice and sugar into a small saucepan and heat gently till the sugar has completely dissolved.
- Boil for another 2-3 minutes, then remove from the heat and strain out the lime zest.
- Carefully place the lime zest on each of the cakes, then use a tablespoon to pour syrup evenly over each of the cakes to soak each one through.
- Leave to sit for about 5-10 minutes or till the syrup has been completely absorbed by the cakes, then remove and place onto a piece of baking paper inside an airtight container (but remember to save one to enjoy while still warm, hehehe!)