- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 3/4 cup solid-pack pumpkin puree
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 1/2 cups frosting
- Orange and yellow food coloring
- Assorted pretzel rods
- Cupcake liners, trimmed slightly
- 10 Tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 1 1/4 pounds cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 1/2 cups confectioner's sugar
- In a large bowl, beat butter, cream cheese, and vanilla until creamy; about 3 minutes. Add sugar gradually, beating until light and fluffy.
- Heat oven to 350. Coat two muffin size bundt pans with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl, combine cake mix, pumpkin, eggs, oil, cinnamon, cloves and 1 cup water. Beat on low for 30 seconds, then increase speed to medium high and beat for 2 minutes. Divide among pans.
- Bake for 16 to 18 minutes.
- Cool cakes in pans on wire racks for 5 minutes then remove to cool completely.
- Trim crown tops level.
- Place half of frosting in a small bowl; tint with orange food coloring. Place other half of frosting in a second small bowl; tint a light pale orangy-yellow with a combination of orange and yellow food coloring.
- Place one cake, flat side up on a cutting board. Spread either color frosting on the flat side. Sandwich with another cake, rounded side up.
- Frost cake, starting at bottom and following teh curve up to the top.
- Use a small amount of contrasting shade to give the cake some color variation.
- Transfer cake to waxed paper lined baking sheet and allow frosting to dry slightly.
- Tuck a pretzel piece into top to resemble a stem.
- Repeat with remaining cakes.
- Slip cakes into trimmed liners.
- Refrigerate until ready to eat.
NotesThese were on the cover of the November 1, 2007, Family Circle Magazine. The recipe in the magazine called for store-bought frosting, but I don't like frosting out of a can, so I used a recipe for cream cheese frosting. I'm sure you could also use a basic buttercream.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Desperate Housewives: Juicy Dishes & Saucy Bites
Holidays = Desserts = Happiness
Cooking with SabraSee More
Salmon & Spinach Pesto Pasta
Antipasto for Kids (Gluten-Free)See More