Mini Pumpkin Whoopie Pies (cookies)
Why I Love This Recipe
This is a good recipe from the Martha Stewart files. Good for a little difference in the holiday season.
Ingredients You'll Need
1 3/4 cups of all purpose flour
3/4 cup unsweet cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
1 Tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
1/4 cup vegetable shortening
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
1 large egg
1 cup whole milk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
For the Filling
4 ounces cream cheese at room temp
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter at room temp
1/2 cup confectioners sugar (powder)
1/4 cup canned solid packed pumpkin
pinch of cinnamon
pinch of nutmeg
1. Prepare the cookies. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Sift together flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt in medium bowl, set aside
2. Place butter, shortening, and sugars into the bown of an electric mixer and use the paddle attachment. Mix on high speed until smooth, about 3 minutes. Add egg, mix until pale and fluffy. about 2 minutes. Mix in half of the flour mixture, then the milk and vanilla. Mix in remaining flour mixture.
3. Drop 2 teaspoons dough onto baking sheet, lined with parchment paper, spacing 2 inches apart. Bake until cookies spring back when lightly touched. 12 to 14 minutes. Transfer baking sheets to wire racks and let cool. About 10 minutes. Remove the cookies from sheets, and transfer to wire racks using a spatula. let cool completely.
4. Prepare the filling. In the bown of a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, whip together cream cheese, butter, and confectioners sugar on medium speed until smooth. (3 minutes) Add pumpkin, cinnamon. and nutmeg. Whip until smooth.
5. Pipe or spoon about 2 teaspoons filling on the flat sides of half the cookie, Sandwich together with remaining halves.