- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- Basmati rice,
- chicken broth,
- Portobello mushrooms,
- celery, brown onion,
- dried apricots,
- dried cranberries,
- dried apples,
- golden raisins,
- bulk breakfast sausage,
- crushed sage leaves,
- crushed leaf oregano
- Additional ingredients: olive oil, salt, pepper, fresh oregano and fresh sage for garnish.
- Wash and dry mini-pumpkins.
- With a sharp knife, slice off the tops of the pumpkins, right under the stems. Scoop out the seeds and scrape the inside edges with a spoon, until a smooth surface is achieved.
- Place the pumpkins and their tops on a baking tray. The flesh ends of the top of the pumpkins should be facing upwards on the tray.
- Brush the inside and the tops of the pumpkins with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and freshly cracked pepper. Roast in a 350-degree oven for 30 minutes or until fork tender.
- Add 3 cups of basmati rice and 4 cups of chicken broth to a large pan. Cover and bring to a boil, turning heat to low until all the broth has evaporated, about 15 to 20 minutes. Remove pan from heat and set aside.
- While the rice is cooking, prepare 1 1/2 cups chopped brown onion, 1 cup minced celery and 8 ounces of Portobello mushrooms, chopped. Set aside.
- n a medium skillet, sauté 8 slices of chopped bacon just until browned. Add one pound of bulk breakfast sausage to the same pan, cooking until both bacon and sausage are cooked through.
- Remove the bacon and the sausage from the skillet, leaving behind 2 tablespoons of the grease. Set the bacon-sausage mixture aside, keeping warm.
- Add onion and celery to the skillet; after 5 minutes, add mushrooms. Sauté until all vegetables are tender.
- Add 1/2 cup chopped dried cranberries, 1/2 cup chopped dried apricots, 1/2 cup chopped dried apples, 1/2 cup golden raisins, 1 teaspoon crushed sage leaves and 1 teaspoon crushed leaf oregano to the celery-mushroom mixture. Continue to sauté until the fruit is softened, about 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl combine cooked rice, sausage-bacon mixture and celery-fruit mixture.
- If the mixed rice appears dry, add chicken broth in 1/4-cup increments. Mix well.
- Use the rice mixture to fill roasted pumpkins.
- Place stuffed pumpkins on a large platter and serve warm.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Angel Acres Thanksgiving Dinner Cookbook!
KITCHEN CAUCUS Liberal HelpingsSee More
Hard Rock Cafe Cole Slaw Clone
Mashed Sweet PotatoesSee More