- Cooking Time: 20
- Servings: 24
- Preparation Time: 45
- 3/4 cup butter
- 3 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup amaretto
- 1 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons light-colored corn syrup
- 1/2 cup amaretto
- Allow butter and eggs to stand at room temperature 30 minutes.
- Generously grease and flour six 4-inch fluted tube pans or one 6-cup fluted tube pan.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and nutmeg; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl beat butter with electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium-high speed, adding the 3/4 cup granulated sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, about 6 minutes or until mixture is very light and fluffy.
- Stir in the 1/4 cup amaretto, lemon peel, and vanilla. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating for 1 minute after each additional and scraping bowl often. Gradually add flour mixture to egg mixture, beating on medium-low speed just until combined. Pour into prepared pans.
- Bake in a 325 degree F oven for 20 to 25 minutes for the 4-inch pans (40 to 45 minutes for the 6-cup fluted pan) or until a wooden toothpick inserted near the center(s) comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes.
- Remove from pans. Cool thoroughly on rack(s). Prick fluted top and sides of each cake generously with tines of a fork.
- For syrup, in a medium saucepan combine the 1/3 cup granulated sugar, the water, brown sugar, and corn syrup. Cook and stir over medium heat until bubbly and most of the sugar is dissolved; remove from heat. Stir in 1/2 cup amaretto. Cool for 5 minutes.
- Dip fluted top and sides of each cooled 4-inch cake into syrup. Place cakes on wire racks above a large tray or baking sheet. Spoon or brush as remaining syrup over tops of cakes. (If using 6-cup pan, do not dip cake into syrup. Place cake on wire rack over tray or baking sheet; spoon or brush syrup over top and sides of cake, reusing syrup on tray.) Cool cake(s).
- Wrap cakes individually in plastic wrap or cellophane; shill, fluted side up, for up to 3 weeks. (or, transfer to a tightly covered container and chill for up to 3 weeks.)
- calories: 157, total fat: 7g, saturated fat: 2g, cholesterol: 34mg, sodium: 78mg, carbohydrate: 20g, fiber: 0g, protein: 2g, vitamin C: 0%, calcium: 1%, iron: 3%
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Eco-Chefs Kids Culinary Cookbook
HalFire: A Passion for HotWings!
Cooking with SabraSee More
Smooth Tomato & Creamy Tofu Sauce