- Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time: 20 minutes
- 2 cups heavy cream, divided
- 1½ cups whole milk
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1½ teaspoons mint extract
- 3 drops green food coloring (optional)
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- 1. Warm 1 cup of the heavy cream, whole milk, granulated sugar and pinch of salt in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until the sugar dissolves.
- 2. Pour the remaining 1 cup of heavy cream into a large bowl and set a mesh strainer on top. In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks. Slowly pour the warm mixture into the egg yolks, whisking constantly, then scrape the warmed egg yolks back into the saucepan.
- 3. Stir the mixture constantly over medium heat with a heatproof spatula, scraping the bottom as you stir, until the mixture thickens and coats the spatula (if using a thermometer, it should be right around 170 degrees F). Pour the custard through the strainer and stir it into the cream. Add the vanilla and mint extracts and the food coloring (if using), and stir until cool over an ice bath.
- 4. Chill the mixture thoroughly in the refrigerator (preferably overnight). Churn according to your ice cream maker’s directions, adding the chocolate chips during the last 5 minutes of churning.
NotesFresh, mint-flavored ice cream with dark chocolate chips. Perfectly refreshing for summer!
Angel Acres Thanksgiving Dinner Cookbook!
Babette's Test Kitchen
Thanksgiving With The Singing VeganSee More
Dark Molten Chocolate Cakes
Shrimp and Penne Pasta Salad with Pesto, Bocconcini and Cherry Tomatoes
Turkey and Heirloom Tomato Frittata with BasilSee More