- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 18
- Preparation Time:
- 1 cup self-rising cornmeal mix
- 1/2 cup self-rising flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup milk or beer
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 jalapeño pepper, chopped
- Vegetable oil
- Combine first 3 ingredients in a large bowl, and make a well in center of mixture.
- Combine egg and next 4 ingredients, stirring well; add to dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened.
- Pour oil to a depth of 3 inches into a Dutch oven or large saucepan; heat to 375°.
- Drop batter by rounded tablespoonfuls into hot oil, and fry in batches 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels; serve immediately.
NotesSubstituting beer for milk makes these lighter and tangier.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Brownies: Baking Outside the Box
Delicious Breakfasts for Gluten-Free Kids!
MY KIDS REALLY EAT THIS! Turner Parents Cookbook 2013See More
Zucchini Spice Cake with Lemon Sauce
Rob’s Sugar Cookies modified from allrecipes.com
Stromboli WrapsSee More