- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 18
- Preparation Time:
- 1 cup self-rising cornmeal mix
- 1/2 cup self-rising flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup milk or beer
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 jalapeño pepper, chopped
- Vegetable oil
- Combine first 3 ingredients in a large bowl, and make a well in center of mixture.
- Combine egg and next 4 ingredients, stirring well; add to dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened.
- Pour oil to a depth of 3 inches into a Dutch oven or large saucepan; heat to 375°.
- Drop batter by rounded tablespoonfuls into hot oil, and fry in batches 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels; serve immediately.
NotesSubstituting beer for milk makes these lighter and tangier.
MetroCooking Texas 2013
"Pretty Food" for the home Chef
Babette's Test KitchenSee More
Gluten Free Gingerbread Cupcake with Browned Butter Butter Cream Frosting
Cinnamon Blueberry Crumble
Mrs. Jackson’s Grits – “Selma”See More