- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 12
- Preparation Time:
- • 9 oz chocolate wafers
- • 1/2 c butter
- • 1 pint vanilla ice cream
- • 1 pint coffee ice cream
- • 1/3 c unsweetened cocoa
- • 2/3 c + 2 T sugar, divided
- • 1 1/3 c heavy cream, divided
- • 3 T butter
- • 1 tsp vanilla extract
- • semi-sweet chocolate curls, optional (Bakers makes these in a shaker)
- To make crust, combine ingredients and press into 9" pie plate. Bake at 375 degrees for 10 minutes. Cool completely.
- Slightly soften vanilla ice cream (set on counter while crust bakes and keep in fridge until ready to use). Spread in cooled crust. Freeze until firm, about 90 minutes.
- In 2-quart saucepan over medium heat, heat cocoa, sugar, 1/3 c cream and butter until smooth and boiling (stir frequently). Remove from heat.
- Add vanilla. Cool to room temperature.
- Pour fudge sauce mixture over vanilla ice cream. Freeze 1 hour or until firm.
- Soften coffee ice cream. Spread over fudge sauce. Return pie to freezer.
- Beat 1 c cream w/ 2 T sugar until soft peaks form. Spread over pie and garnish w/ chocolate curls. Return pie to freezer, uncovered. Freeze until firm, about 3 hours.
- Pie stores in freezer. Cover with plastic wrap once set. Makes 12 servings.
NotesThis is the recipe that was passed around the 'burbs in 1978. I remember my mother and the other women in the neighborhood raving about this wonderful new find: Mississippi mud pie. Everyone was making this pie, taking it to barbecues, etc. It was THE dessert in our little pocket of the South that year. I haven't seen this version online anywhere so I thought I'd add it to Bakespace.
There's a lot of waiting with this recipe so plan your time accordingly.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
The Lizz Delicious Cookbook Vol. 1
Kale Yeah It's Good...No Meat Necessary
My Family CookbookSee More
STUFFAT TAL-QARNIT (Octopus Stew)
Frosted Apple Cinnamon Bars
BANANA WELLINGTONSSee More