- Cooking Time: 15-18 minutes
- Servings: 18
- Preparation Time: 15 minutes
- 1 cup all purpose flour, divided
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar, plus an additional 2 tablespoons for topping
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1 1/2 cups frozen mixed berries
- 1 (6 oz) container low-fat Greek yogurt (I used strawberry)
- 1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1/4 cup canola oil or coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.; line cupcakes pans with 18 liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together 3/4 cup all purpose flour, 1 cup white whole wheat flour, baking powder, sugar, and orange peel; set aside.
- Toss the frozen berries (if the strawberries are huge, cut them into smaller pieces) with the remaining 1/4 cup flour. Mix the yogurt, buttermilk, egg, oil and vanilla together in a small bowl or measuring cup. Add the berries and the yogurt mixture to the dry ingredients and stir until just mixed...batter will be lumpy...don't over mix.
- With a cookie scoop, divide the batter among the muffin cups. Sprinkle the remaining sugar over the batter. Bake the muffins for 15-18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Cool on a rack for 10 minutes. Serve warm.
NotesIt's time for me to cut back on the calories...but it really isn't too hard. I just tweaked a recipe by adding some whole wheat flour, subbing yogurt for cream, canola oil for butter, and by making them smaller. I think you will like them!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Angel Acres Christmas Dinner Cookbook!
Cooking On The Weekends - For The Love of Food!
Eco-Chefs Kids Culinary CookbookSee More
Honey Cake (mézeskalács) As My Mother Makes
Delicious, flaky, lard-free pie crustSee More