MIXED FRUIT TART
- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 recipe Short Pastry (recipe follows)
- 1 recipe Vanilla Custard (recipe follows)
- 1/2 lb. fresh strawberries, hulled and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 bananas cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 3 kiwis, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 3/4 cup apple jelly
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Make the Short Pastry, and roll out on a lightly flour surface into a 12-inch circle. Gently nudge into an 11-inch tart pan and trim off the excess. Prick here and there with a fork to prevent bubbles from forming when baking. Line the inside of the pastry shell with foil or parchment paper and fill with dry beans or rice, and bake until the edges are golden brown, 15 to 18 minutes. Carefully spoon out the beans or rice and remove the foil or parchment paper. Return the shell to the oven to brown and dry evenly, 6 to 8 minutes more. Remove and let cool.
- Make the Vanilla Custard. Pour into the cooled shell and spread smooth. Carefully arrange the sliced fruit in close alternating rings on top.
- Heat the apple jelly so it will spread easily, glaze the fruit, preferable with a wide pastry brush filled with plenty of glaze, in spoke pattern, dabbing from the center out to the edge of the pastry. Refill the brush as needed, and repeat until the tart is sealed and shiny with jelly. Refrigerate at least 1 hour, until set, before serving. Serves 6.
NotesAll made from scratch and earns raves reviews...worth the effort
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Favourites from Ana's Romanian Kitchen
Vegan Glass Jar Goodies
Desperate Housewives: Juicy Dishes & Saucy BitesSee More
Blue Cheese And Bacon Cheese Ball
matt's base red sauceSee More