- Cooking Time: 90
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 10
- 1 1/2 cups of green lentils
- 4 cups of water or stock
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup of brown rice
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Juice of one lemon
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 shallot, minced
- 4 cups baby mixed lettuces
- 1/2 English cucumber, chopped
- Wash lentils.
- Bring lentils and water to boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Heat olive oil in another sauce pot.
- Saute onions and salt until the onions are translucent.
- Add rice and stir for 2 minutes.
- Combine lentils, rice and onion, cover and simmer till lentils and rice are soft, about 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- You may have to add up to one more cup of water.
- Whisk salad dressing ingredients together in salad bowl.
- Add lettuces and cucumber and toss.
- Smooth Mjeddrah in center of plate and serve salad over the top.
NotesI tried this recipe years ago when I was looking for a high protein vegetarian recipe and found this in Diet for a Small Planet. It said the history of this dish dates back to biblical times. There are lots of different spellings and tons of different recipes abound on the internet but this simple one is the one I prefer.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Angel Acres Soup & Chili Cookbook
Cupcakes from Food Network's Cupcake Wars winner, Annette Starbuck
ES Diversity - Creating Connections through Food Volume 2 Desserts and CakesSee More
pistachio cranberry icebox cookies
Teeny Tiny Italian Meat-loaves
Mom's Holiday Stove Top StuffingSee More