- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee granules
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tsp corn starch
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 2 oz fine quality bittersweet chocolate (finely chopped)*
- Get ready a large bowl full of ice cold water.
- Stir together 1/4 of the milk and the cornstarch in a measuring cup and let it sit while you whisk together sugar, cocao and remaining milk in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil while continuing to stir and add in coffee granules.
- Add the cornstarch/milk mixure to the saucepan and bring to a boil again. Immediately remove from heat.
- Stir the mixture and add vanilla and half of the chocolate - keep whisking!
- Place saucepan in that bowl of ice water and whisk away! Place the mocha mixture in a container and put in fridge overnight.
- The next day, make your icecream according to your icecream maker's instructions. Add the remaining chocolate pieces about 5 minutes before the mixture is done churning.
NotesI bought an icecream maker this summer. If you like icecream, buy one for yourself - it's totally worth it.
*I used a dark chocolate bar with toasted hazlenuts for the chocolate chunks in the icecream. Don't use this kind for the melting, but as chunks, it was awesome!