- Cooking Time: 18 to 20
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time: 15
BackstoryI have a few boxes of gluten-free mixes in my pantry and am finally getting around to using them.
As I was developing another recipe, I added a couple tablespoons of cocoa to the recipe and discovered that I also like the ‘mocha’ taste. As I was trying to decide what to add to this box of muffin mix, the mocha idea popped into my head. Light bulb!
Mocha used here simply means a ‘light’ cocoa taste.
- 1/2 (16-oz. box) gluten-free yellow muffin mix (used King Arthur Flour)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 3 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 6 pkts. Pure Via Stevia ( or 4 tbsp sugar equivalent)
- 2 eggs
- 3 tbsp coconut oil (or 70% fat (or higher) buttery spread )
- 1/3 cup unsweetened almond milk (or milk of your choice)
- 1/3 cup Ghirardelli Double Chocolate Chips, Bittersweet (or your choice).
- Measure the muffin mix, weigh it, if necessary. Whisk cocoa, cake mix and cinnamon together.
- Melt coconut oil.
- Beat eggs, coconut oil and extract until fluffy, beat in cake mix, milk until blended. Beat about an additional 30 seconds, just until the batter begins to thicken. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Cover the cupcake pan with cupcake papers. Spoon the batter evenly into the prepared cupcake pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 18 to 20 minutes until top lightly pressed spring back or toothpick inserted in center comes out with small crumbs. Do not over-cook!
- Remove from oven, remove from cupcake pan to wire rack with papers intact. Allow to cool and optionally frost
- ---As prepared--
- Nutrition (per serving): 285 calories, 13.2g total fat, <1g monounsaturated fat, <1g polyunsaturated fat, 0g trans fatty acids, 0g trans-monoenoic fatty acids, 6.2g saturated fat, 52.9mg cholesterol, 298.5mg sodium, 23.9mg calcium, 25.4mg potassium, 8.2mcg folate, 24mg phosphorus, 4.4mg phytosterols, <1mcg lycopene, 4mcg selenium, <1mg thiamin, <1mcg vitamin b12, <1mg vitamin b6, <1mg vitamin c, 4.4IU vitamin d, 1.4mg zinc, 53.1g carbohydrates, 17.5g fiber, 35.6g net carbohydrates, 16.7g sugar, <1g fructose, <1g glucose, <1g sucrose, <1g maltose, 6.7g protein, 5.2mg caffeine