- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 12
- Preparation Time:
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 c hot strong coffee
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup mesquite flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 375' F and line 12 muffin cups with baking cups
- In a bowl, whisk together the cocoa powder and coffee. Set aside and let cool completely.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the sour cream, mesquite flour and vanilla until well combined. Whisk in the coffee mixture until smooth.
- In a large bowl, combine cake flour, sugar, baking soda and salt. On medium speed, beat in the mesquite mixture and beat for one minute.
- At this point, I pour some of the batter into a measuring cup for liquids (the one with the pour spout). This makes it sooo much easier to fill the muffin tins, which you will almost to the top
- Bake in your preheated 375'F oven for about 20 - 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- You'll probably have some batter left over. Make a few more cupcakes. Or, like I did....just lick the bowl (why not? there's no egg in the recipe)
- Allow to cool on a rack before frosting.
NotesI was giving a sample of Mesquite Flour. When you think of Mesquite, instantly you think of the smokey flavor that you get when you bbq with mesquite wood. The flour is a whooooole different kind of animal. It's made from the been pods of the mesquite bush, not the wood. And it has a sweet spiciness about it. Reminds me of cinnamon / cayenne pepper combo without the heat. Very hispanic in nature. This is a recipe I came up with while playing with Mesquite Flour.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Breads and Pastry 101
Driscoll's Berry Desserts
MetroCooking DC 2013See More
Carmelized Banana Tart (Land O Lakes)
Betty Crocker Ooey Gooey Pumpkin Caramel Cupcakes
Chinese Chicken WingsSee More