- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 3¼ hours 10 min prep SERVES 12 ,
- 1 turkey 1 (5-20 lb) fresh or frozen turkey breast (thawed) or turkey
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1-2 tablespoon mayonnaise
- Place turkey or turkey breast in a roasting pan. (I use a foil-lined 13x9-inch pan)
- Combine melted butter and chicken broth.
- Pour over turkey.
- Rub mayonnaise all over turkey's exterior.
- Salt lightly if desired. Roast at 300°-325°F until internal temperature reaches 170°F on an instant read thermometer. (I raise the temperature to 350° for the last approximate 30-45 minutes to crisp skin).
- Remove from oven and let sit for about 30 minutes before slicing.
- Note: because the butter and broth are for making gravy, if you need to make a lot of gravy, double the amount of both. © 2008 Recipezaar.
- All Rights Reserved. http://www.recipezaar.com/
NotesA girlfriend told me about the mayo trick when I was first married and I've never roasted a turkey or turkey breast without it since. The skin is crisp and flavorful and the meat is tender, moist and delicious. If you don't use the butter and broth, you will not have enough pan drippings to make gravy and you don't want to do that because this combo makes the best tasting gravy I've ever had. I've also added 1/2 cup of beer or wine to the mixture before and it was also spectacular. With slow roasting it, the meat stays so juicy I've actually had it squirt out when I insert the thermometer! I've never had a better turkey or turkey breast.
by Marg (CaymanDesigns)
This back story was posted with the recipe
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Oliver & Grandson's Cajun and Southern Creations
Camp Nubar Baking Class
Breads and Pastry 101See More
Cinnamon-Apple Chex® Mix
Very Berry Crumble Pie
Salmon Hobo PacksSee More