- Cooking Time: 20 to 25 minutes
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time: 10 minutes
- 1 c. flour
- 1 c. cornmeal
- 2 T. sugar
- 4 t. baking powder
- 3/4 t. salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 c. buttermilk
- 2 T. molassas
- 2 T. lard or shortening
- 2 T. butter
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees with a seasoned 10 inch cast iron skillet inside.
- In a medium size bowl, coming flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Add eggs, buttermilk, molassas, lard and butter.
- Beat with a rotary beater until just smooth.
- With heating pad, remove cast iron skillet from oven.
- Pour batter in skillet.
- Place back in the oven for 20 min. or until golden brown.
- If you don't have a seasoned cast iron skillet, go get one! Or use a 9x9 baking dish.
- Any leftovers are good the next morning toasted with a little sugar and milk.
NotesI love cornbread that is on the sweet side. I had a basic cornbread recipe that I tweaked into this amazing staple at my dinner table.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Fun appetizers and snacks
50 Shades of Taste
KITCHEN CAUCUS Conservative CreationsSee More
Super Easy Chicken and Pepper Mexican Spiced Rice Stir Fry
How To Make Caramelized Onions
Salted Nut SquaresSee More