- Cooking Time: 20 to 25 minutes
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time: 10 minutes
- 1 c. flour
- 1 c. cornmeal
- 2 T. sugar
- 4 t. baking powder
- 3/4 t. salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 c. buttermilk
- 2 T. molassas
- 2 T. lard or shortening
- 2 T. butter
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees with a seasoned 10 inch cast iron skillet inside.
- In a medium size bowl, coming flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Add eggs, buttermilk, molassas, lard and butter.
- Beat with a rotary beater until just smooth.
- With heating pad, remove cast iron skillet from oven.
- Pour batter in skillet.
- Place back in the oven for 20 min. or until golden brown.
- If you don't have a seasoned cast iron skillet, go get one! Or use a 9x9 baking dish.
- Any leftovers are good the next morning toasted with a little sugar and milk.
NotesI love cornbread that is on the sweet side. I had a basic cornbread recipe that I tweaked into this amazing staple at my dinner table.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Cooking On The Weekends - For The Love of Food!
KITCHEN CAUCUS Liberal Helpings
Paul's Food World Volume 1See More
Cocktail (The V)
Angel Acres Feel Better Chicken Noodle Soup
Twisted Shirley TempleSee More