MOLASSES SPICE COOKIES
- Cooking Time: 10-14 minutes per sheet
- Servings: makes 24
- 3/4 cup softened butter (1 1/2 sticks)
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups AP flour
- (+1/2 cup sugar for later)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
With elec mixer, beat butter and sugar until combined.
Add egg and molasses and beat again.
Add remaining dry ingredients gradually until blended.
Scoop dough into 2-3 tablespoon size balls and roll in granulated sugar
Place on cookie sheet about 3 inches apart. (They really spread out!)
Bake one sheet at a time until edges are just firm, about 10-14 minutes.
(Can be baked two sheets at a time, but they will not crackle uniformly)
Cool 1 minute, then transfer to racks to cool completely.