- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 1-1/2 cups warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1-1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add honey; let stand for 5 minutes. Add the milk, molasses, butter, egg, salt and whole wheat flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 24 pieces. Shape each into a 10-in. rope. Shape each rope into a "S"; coil ends until they tough the center. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 35 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks.
- Yield: 2 dozen.
NotesWhenever I make these country-style rolls, I fondly remember my mother—she was an excellent baker who taught me so much in our North Dakota farm kitchen. Each year at Thanksgiving, my bread basket includes these hearty dinner rolls. —Ardis Rollefson Jackson Hole, Wyoming
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Vegan Glass Jar Goodies
Breads and Pastry 101
The Best of GlutenFreeHappyTummy!See More
Cancun Grilled Chicken Tacos with Citrus Chile Marinade
Perfect baked potatoSee More