Mole Sauce and Cheese Enchiladas
Why I Love This Recipe
Yummy!! Can be made with chicken also for the non-vegetarians!!
Ingredients You'll Need
For the enchiladas
4 corn tortillas
2 cups white Mexican blend cheese, crumbled or cubed (Oaxacan is best, but Monterey Jack or Chihuahua would be okay)
2 green onions, sliced
For the Sauce
1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil or corn oil
1/2 medium onions, finely diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
5 teaspoons flour
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 1/4 cups vegetable stock or chicken stock
1 ounce semisweet chocolate
For the sauce:
1. Saute onion in oil until tender.
2. Add garlic, oregano, cumin and cinnamon; saute together for a few minutes.
3. Stir in flour and chili powder, coating onion mixture.
4. Slowly whisk in vegetable (or chicken) stock; reduce until sauce thickens, whisking frequently (this will take about 30 minutes).
5. Stir in semisweet chocolate until melted and smooth.
6. Assemble enchiladas: Steam or soften tortillas in a lightly greased skillet .
7. Roll up 1/2 cup (or whatever fits your tortillas) of cheese in each corn tortilla.
8. Sprinkle with green onions and pour sauce over.
9. Cover baking dish and bake at 350 degrees F for about 20 minutes or until heated through.
10. (Oaxacan cheese takes slightly longer to melt.).