- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryAfter trying this recipe of Nigella Lawson's in How to be a Domestic Goddess, I have no idea why anyone would order this at a restaurant. They're so easy to make at home! Also, cutting the recipe in half works just fine.
- 1/4 cup soft unsalted butter, plus more for greasing
- 12 oz. bittersweet chocolate
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 4 large eggs, beaten with a pinch of salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/3 c. all-purpose flour
- 6 individual 6 oz. custard cups
- Preheat oven to 400 and put in a baking sheet at the same time. Lay 3 of the custard cups on a sheet of doubled parchment paper. Draw around them, remove, and then cut out the discs as marked. Press them into the base of the buttered cups.
- Melt the chocolate and let it cool slightly. Cream together the butter and sugar, and gradually beat in the eggs and salt, then the vanilla. Then add the flour until smooth and scrape in cooled chocolate, blending until smooth again.
- Divide the batter between the 6 cups and place on the baking sheet that's already in the oven. Bake for 10-12 minutes. As soon as you take them out of the oven, tip the babycakes onto your serving dishes.
- Serve with whipped cream or ice cream.
- Perhaps not surprisingly, serves 6.