- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 32
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryA childhood favorite! Just the sound of them sizzling in the oil is enough to make my mouth water. I can almost taste them now, writting this recipe down...
You can also sprinkle powdered sugar on top instead of the honey butter, but the honey butter is sooo good!
- 2 cups sifted all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon anise seeds, crushed
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 to 4 tablespoons milk
- Vegetable oil for deep frying
- 2/3 cups honey
- ¼ cup butter, softened
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, anise seed, and lemon rind in a large bowl.
- Stir in egg, melted butter, and just enough milk to make the dough hold together.
- Turn out on lightly floured surface and knead 3 to 5 minutes or just until dough becomes smooth.
- Let rest for 10 minutes.
- Divide dough into 32 equal-sized pieces.
- Roll each on a lightly floured surface with a lightly floured rolling pin into 5-inch circles (edges will be irregular).
- Keep between pieces of wax paper until all have been rolled out.
- Heat approximately 1 inch of oil in a heavy skillet to 375 degrees on a deep-fat frying thermometer.
- Fry rounds a few at a time, about 30 seconds on each side. (Bunuelos will puff when frying.)
- Drain on paper towels.
- Heat honey and softened butter in a medium saucepan until mixture bubbles for one minute.
- Cool slightly.
- With a spoon, drizzle honey butter mixture over each Bunuelo; let set.
- After Bunuelos are deep fried, they can be stored between clean paper towels in a metal tin, or frozen in single layers on a jelly roll pan. To serve thawed Bunuelos place on a cookie sheet or jelly roll pan in a 325 degree oven for 1 minute, then glaze with the honey butter.
The Breakfast Aisle
The Cookbook to Defy Disease and Decay - Your Prescription to an Anti-Inflammatory Life
Hemp Healthy Cooking: Hemp for LunchSee More
Gluten Free Vietnamese Perogies
Campbell's Kitchen Slow Cooker Bacon Potato ChowderSee More