- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 32
- Preparation Time:
- 2 cups sifted all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon anise seeds, crushed
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 to 4 tablespoons milk
- Vegetable oil for deep frying
- 2/3 cups honey
- ¼ cup butter, softened
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, anise seed, and lemon rind in a large bowl.
- Stir in egg, melted butter, and just enough milk to make the dough hold together.
- Turn out on lightly floured surface and knead 3 to 5 minutes or just until dough becomes smooth.
- Let rest for 10 minutes.
- Divide dough into 32 equal-sized pieces.
- Roll each on a lightly floured surface with a lightly floured rolling pin into 5-inch circles (edges will be irregular).
- Keep between pieces of wax paper until all have been rolled out.
- Heat approximately 1 inch of oil in a heavy skillet to 375 degrees on a deep-fat frying thermometer.
- Fry rounds a few at a time, about 30 seconds on each side. (Bunuelos will puff when frying.)
- Drain on paper towels.
- Heat honey and softened butter in a medium saucepan until mixture bubbles for one minute.
- Cool slightly.
- With a spoon, drizzle honey butter mixture over each Bunuelo; let set.
- After Bunuelos are deep fried, they can be stored between clean paper towels in a metal tin, or frozen in single layers on a jelly roll pan. To serve thawed Bunuelos place on a cookie sheet or jelly roll pan in a 325 degree oven for 1 minute, then glaze with the honey butter.
NotesA childhood favorite! Just the sound of them sizzling in the oil is enough to make my mouth water. I can almost taste them now, writting this recipe down...
You can also sprinkle powdered sugar on top instead of the honey butter, but the honey butter is sooo good!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Mom's Cooking Secrets
ES Diversity - Creating Connections through Food Volume 1 Mains and AppetisersSee More
Paul’s Chicken Marsala Modified from www.allrecipes.com
Smiling Jack SandwichSee More