- Cooking Time: 30
- Preparation Time:
- 2-1/2 C. flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 T. sugar
- 1 C. shortening
- 1 egg yolk
- 2/3 C. milk
- 1/2 C. crushed corn flakes
- 8-10 medium baking apples, peeled and sliced
- 1 C. sugar
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 egg white
- 3/4 C. powdered sugar
- 1 T/ milk
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Mix together flour, salt, sugar and shortening. Add egg yolk and 2/3 C. milk. Divide dough in two on a lightly floured surface. Roll one half into rectangle, 18 x 13 inches with floured cloth-covered rolling pin. Fold into fourths; unfold and ease into ungreased 15-1/2 x 1-1/2 x 1 inch jelly roll pan. Spread corn flakes on bottom of crust. Mix sugar and cinnamon with sliced apples. Pour into pastry crust.
- Roll other dough into rectangle 17 x 12 inches. Fold into fourths and cover pie filling. Seal edges and poke top crust with fork to form steam vents.
- Bake pie at 400 degrees for 10 minutes. Turn heat down to 350 degrees and continue baking for 30 minutes.
- While pie is baking, beat egg white to form meringue. Remove pie from oven at the end of the 30 minute baking period. Spread meringue on top of pie and bake for another 15 minutes.
- Mix together the powdered sugar and milk until smooth. While pie is still warm, spread glaze over the meringue. Serve warm or cooled.
NotesMy mother has been making this dessert for as long as I can remember, and I think the thing that makes it so delicious is the topping that goes on it after it's baked. It really adds that something extra that keeps you coming back for more.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Delicious Breakfasts for Gluten-Free Kids!
Watt's Cooking in PA?
Gluten-Free - Making do with what you got!See More
Picnic Chicken SaladSee More