- Cooking Time: 20+
- Servings: 12+
- Preparation Time: 10
- 2 lbs Ground Beef (I find 80/20 or LESS has the most flavor)
- 1 large diced onion
- 3 cans red beans (I prefer Bushes, you use what you like)
- 3 cans tomato sauce (I use Hunts)
- 1 can petite diced tomatoes
- 2 tsp ground cumin (to start - depending on what you like - I use double that)
- 2 tsp ground chili powder (to start - again, use what you like)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Brown ground beef with onions (drain grease if you need too, some or all - I don't, it contains lots of flavor)
- Add beans, add sauce, add tomatoes (adding in a different order changes the flavor - I don't know why, maybe it is in my head)
- Sprinkle on the spices, stir it up and taste it. If you need more seasoning - by all means add it. Let it get hot and your good to serve. My family usually can't wait but if you make it a day ahead or even early - something about letting it get cold and reheating it makes great pot of chili over the top.
- Poor it over a cooked bowl of elbow macaroni or shells. We top it with raw onions and shredded cheddar or Velveeta or a Mexican blend of cheeses.
NotesMy Mom made the best Chili for my family. So many others make something really special but her's is simply the easiest and I can make it in 30 minutes or less. I keep the ingredients in the pantry for emergency company or just when the weather calls for something warm and hearty. It's just plain "Jane" chili and you can dress it up anyway you want.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Second Grade Holiday Cookbook
Disney's Tinker Bell "Secret of the Wings Cookbook"See More
Honey and Walnut Wholemeal Bread
Zucchini Bread 2
The Best Potato Salad Ever!See More