- Cooking Time: 30
- Servings: 24-40
- Preparation Time: 120
- 1 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour PLUS 1/8 cup
- 1/2 cup turbinado sugar
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ginger
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. allspice
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 cup vegetable shortening
- 1/3 cup unsulphured molasses
- 3/4 tsp. egg replacer
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons soymilk
- Using an electric or standing mixer, cream together shortening, molasses, sugar, water, and egg replacer for approximately two minutes on high speed. You will notice a change in the texture of the dough; the shortening will be bubbly throughout the molasses, mixed and not separated. Add the flour, spices, baking powder and baking soda, and soymilk. If your dough is crumbly, continue adding soymilk one tablespoon at a time. To test, roll a hunk of dough in your hands. If it smooths out and doesn't stick to your skin you should be good. I've never had to add more than what's listed in the recipe, though.
- Let your dough chill, covered, for an hour in the refrigerator.
- On a well floured surface with a floured rolling pin, roll the to your desired thickness. You don't want them too thin, but too thick is a problem as well. Aim for 1/8" thickness. You may need to brush a bit of flour on top of the dough so your rolling pin doesn't stick. Cut into shapes and place evenly on a nonstick cookie sheet.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 8-10 minutes. The cookies will puff slightly. There's no need to overcook; there aren't any eggs to cook the bacteria out of. Let cool for about 3 minutes on the cookie sheet before transferring to a wire rack to finish.
- Let cool completely before frosting!
NotesMy mother used to own a "gifts in a jar" business up in New Hampshire. This recipe is based on her gingerbread cookie mix. It's delicious and is my absolute favorite holiday cookie recipe. It has the perfect amount of spice. The cookies also stay nice and soft, too.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Delicious Breakfasts for Gluten-Free Kids!
Cooking On The Weekends - For The Love of Food!See More
Cocktail (The V)
Angel Acres Feel Better Chicken Noodle Soup
Twisted Shirley TempleSee More