- Cooking Time: 90 minutes
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time: 30 minutes
- 1 lb. hamburger
- 1 small turnip diced
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1/2 bell pepper, chopped
- 2 large carrots, sliced into bite-sized pieces
- 1 can kernel corn with juice
- 1 can peas with juice
- 1 can green beans with juice
- 1 quarter head of cabbage, diced
- 2 beef boullion cubes
- 1 tsp. worstershire sauce
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 tsp. garlic powder/granules
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp. instant coffee
- 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar or red wine
- 1/4 cup of sugar
- Optional -small can of diced tomatoes
- Brown hamburger, onions and peppers in a large pot. Add everything but cabbage. Bring to a boil, then reduce to medium low for at least an hour. Once turnips and carrots are tender, add cabbage and cook for an additional 5-10 minutes.
- Serve with crusty bread and butter.
NotesI put this soup together when I was pregnant to try to satisfy all my food cravings at once. It's sweet and tangy with all the nutritional value I could think of at the time and is as thick as a stew. Fresh or frozen veggies can be substituted for canned, but add additional water. This is good right away, but outstanding the next day.
ES Diversity - Creating Connections through Food Volume 1 Mains and Appetisers
Breads and Breakfasts: Bakin' Without Eggs...or Dairy!
The Help Cookbook: Food and FriendshipSee More
GINGERBREAD(LAURA INGALLS WILDER)
Boneless Roast Turkey Breast With Blueberry Salsa
Perfect Easter HamSee More