- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time:
- 2 lbs. stewing beef
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tablespoon (or more to taste) chili powder
- 2 cans Campbell's beef broth
- 3 cans (4oz) chopped green chilis
- 1 (6oz) can tomato paste
- 1 Tablespoon flour
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon corn starch
- 10 to 12 corn tortillas
- 1 lb. shredded colby jack cheese
- 1 head shredded lettuce.
- Cut beef into small pieces, fry in butter in 4 quart saucepan. When that has browned add the diced onion and fry until translucent. Add the minced garlic but don't let it get brown. Next add the beef broth, chili powder, green chilis and tomato paste. Let gently simmer for two hours so that meat gets good and tender.
- This may be thickened with 1 tablespoon flour and 1 1/2 tablespoons corn starch. Take some of the broth from the green chili mixture, allow it to cool then mix all together and then stir into the pot. Allow to come to a boil and boil at least1 minute.
- We then put corn tortillas on a sheet pan and sprinkle with colby jack cheese and heat them in the oven until the cheese melts. Place a couple of the corn tortillas on a plate for each person, scoop the green chili mixture on and then top with shredded cheese.
NotesMy mother used to make this and we loved it. Not sure how authentic it is but I do know it is delicious. We like to serve it on corn tortillas with shredded colby jack cheese melted on them, then we PILE on the shredded lettuce.