- Cooking Time: 8 - 10 minutes
- Servings: 2 dozen
- Preparation Time: overnight
- THE DOUGH
- 1 cup butter-flavored Crisco
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 t salt
- 1 cup boiling water
- Instant yeast
- 4 eggs
- 7 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cold water
- THE ORANGE SPREAD
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup soft butter or margarine
- rind from 2 large or 3 medium oranges
- THE DOUGH:
- In a mixing bowl combine shortening, 3/4 cup sugar, salt, boiling water.
- Allow water to cool.
- Mix until combined.
- Stir in yeast.
- Add eggs.
- Alternate adding 1/4 cup cold water with 2 cups of flour while mixer running, using dough hook. Dough should be very sticky once all flour is added.
- Move dough to well greased bowl.
- Cover dough with greased plastic wrap and place in refrigerator to rise over night.
- ORANGE SPREAD:
- Combine the sugar, butter or margarine and orange rind and mix well.
- Roll out the dough into a triangle on a well-floured surface until it is about 1/4-inch thick.
- Spread the orange spread on the dough leaving a 1-inch margin on all sides.
- Begin rolling from the long side until reaching the other side.
- Pinch the loose end to the roll.
- Slice the roll into 1 1/2 inch slices.
- Place slices in well-greased muffin tins.
- Allow to rise covered for 2 hours or until double in size.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 8 - 10 minutes.
NotesThis is a favorite at holiday meals. My kids always hope there are left overs so that they can take them to school in their lunches.
Science 8 is Cooking with Chemistry 2013
Thanksgiving With The Singing Vegan
St.George YMCA-YWCA Before and After School CookbookSee More
Grilled Chicken and Orange Skewers with Zucchini Rice
Endive Rhubarb Salad
COTTAGE CHEESE BRUNCH BLINTZESSee More