- Cooking Time: 8 - 10 minutes
- Servings: 2 dozen
- Preparation Time: overnight
- THE DOUGH
- 1 cup butter-flavored Crisco
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 t salt
- 1 cup boiling water
- Instant yeast
- 4 eggs
- 7 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cold water
- THE ORANGE SPREAD
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup soft butter or margarine
- rind from 2 large or 3 medium oranges
- THE DOUGH:
- In a mixing bowl combine shortening, 3/4 cup sugar, salt, boiling water.
- Allow water to cool.
- Mix until combined.
- Stir in yeast.
- Add eggs.
- Alternate adding 1/4 cup cold water with 2 cups of flour while mixer running, using dough hook. Dough should be very sticky once all flour is added.
- Move dough to well greased bowl.
- Cover dough with greased plastic wrap and place in refrigerator to rise over night.
- ORANGE SPREAD:
- Combine the sugar, butter or margarine and orange rind and mix well.
- Roll out the dough into a triangle on a well-floured surface until it is about 1/4-inch thick.
- Spread the orange spread on the dough leaving a 1-inch margin on all sides.
- Begin rolling from the long side until reaching the other side.
- Pinch the loose end to the roll.
- Slice the roll into 1 1/2 inch slices.
- Place slices in well-greased muffin tins.
- Allow to rise covered for 2 hours or until double in size.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 8 - 10 minutes.
NotesThis is a favorite at holiday meals. My kids always hope there are left overs so that they can take them to school in their lunches.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Kale Yeah It's Good...No Meat Necessary
Easy Homemade Salad Dressings
Let's Talk Turkey! My Family's Turkey Day FeastSee More
Tabouleh (Cracked Wheat/Cucumber Salad)
Annie's Strawberry Dessert
Old Fashioned GingerbreadSee More