- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 3-1/2 pound Chuck Pot Roast
- flour for dusting
- 1 onion - chopped
- 2 garlic cloves - crushed
- 1/2 t dried thyme
- 12 small new potatoes - cut in 1/2
- 1 bunch baby carrots - peeled
- 6 small turnips - peeled, quartered
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 8oz can tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 2 T Bacon Grease for browning (or oil)
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees
- Generously season meat with salt and pepper, dredge in flour shaking off excess. In a large dutch oven or large roasting pan, melt fat until hot, brown meat well on all sides and remove from pot. Add onions and brown for about 8 minutes until soft and just browning, add garlic and thyme and cook until fragrant - 30 seconds. Add both broths, wine - de-glaze pan. Stir in tomato sauce and add meat back to pot. Add enough water to bring juices up 1/2 way of roast. Cover and place in oven for 3-1/2 hours. Add veggies, submerge in liquid and put back in oven for 30 more minutes or until veggies are tender. Sometimes, I add a little flour/water mixture to thicken if I feel so inclined. Serve with crusty bread and a nice Beaujolais...
NotesMy mom always made the best Pot Roast and is still Dad's favorite to this day... I decided to make it when Fall arrived this weekend and it was so homey and satisfying that I'd thought I'd share it here.
Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler! Delicious Recipes For Any Get Together or Party
Disney's Tinker Bell "Secret of the Wings Cookbook"
Happy Father's Day Day... Your Favorite RecipesSee More
Grilled Pepper Poppers
Easy Walnut Chocolate Rum Balls
blessing mixSee More